Natural Gas Benefits
Increase cost savings, comfort and your home’s value by choosing natural gas.
According to the American Gas Association (AGA), using natural gas appliances for heating, water heating, cooking and clothes drying can save an average homeowner $840 per year over using electric appliances.
- Check out current natural gas pricing and see how far your energy dollar goes.
- Our convenient operating cost calculator tells you how much you could save by using natural gas versus electricity or propane for heating, water heating, cooking and clothes drying.
- Further reduce your energy bills with our efficiency programs and rebates.
- Natural gas water heaters recover twice as fast as electric models. This means you’re less likely to run out of hot water.
- Heat delivered from a natural gas furnace feels warmer, as the air delivered is 25 F degrees warmer than air from an electric heat pump.
ReliableReliability is a hallmark of the natural gas industry, as most natural gas appliances keep working even when the electricity is out. And, because the natural gas system is underground, outages are rare.
Clean and Environmentally Friendly
A natural gas home creates half as much carbon emissions as an all-electric home does. It produces:
- Significantly less carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas.
- Almost no sulfur dioxide, a key cause of acid rain and haze.
- Less than one-third the amount of nitrogen oxides, the primary cause of smog.
- Zero mercury emissions, which is a common cause of contamination in fish.
Learn how we helped our customers in Arkansas, Minnesota, Mississippi and Oklahoma reduce their carbon footprint
in 2015 by 118,800 metric tons (which is like removing 20,000 cars from our roads).
About 90 percent of the natural gas that enters pipelines reaches consumers, with only 10 percent lost along the way.
- This, compared to electricity, with only 30 percent of the energy used to generate it actually reaching homes and businesses, and about 70 percent of the original energy is lost or wasted.
There’s currently enough natural gas in the U.S. to power our nation for more than 100 years.
- Throughout the U.S., there are nearly 2.5 million miles of pipeline, and 120,000 miles of these lines are operated by us.
- Every day, we directly serve more than 3.3 million homes and commercial/industrial businesses in six states.
- Using natural gas reduces America’s dependence on foreign oil and creates local jobs.
Every year, our company spends millions of dollars on pipeline maintenance, reliability and inspections.
We’re actively removing cast iron and bare steel from our pipeline system and replacing it with either plastic or coated steel.
We use state-of-the-art technology like the Picarro Surveyor™ that is a thousand times more sensitive in detecting gas leaks than other current techniques.
Natural gas appliances have great safety records, and state-of-the-art equipment has advanced capabilities like auto-shut off.