Winter Meter Safety
During cold weather, ice can build up on or near meters causing potentially dangerous conditions and equipment malfunctions. Follow these simple steps to prevent weather-related meter problems:
- Keep the path and area around meter free of leaves, debris.
- Use a broom rather than gasoline- or electric-powered equipment to clear snow and debris around and on top of the meter set assembly.
- Do not attempt to remove ice buildup from the meter.
If there’s ice buildup on the meter or if it’s located in an area where there is ice buildup, report it to
Natural Gas Line and Inside Meter Inspection
To ensure safe and reliable service to our customers, federal regulations require CenterPoint Energy to periodically inspect its equipment, including the piping and natural gas meter the company owns inside customer homes and businesses.
- CenterPoint Energy owns the natural gas meter and the piping that comes into it.
- Customers own the piping that runs from the meter to the natural gas appliances and it is the customer's responsibility to maintain this piping.