Diversity at CenterPoint Energy
Enriching our work environment and benefitting our communities
Diversity at CenterPoint Energy is an important part of our vision to lead the nation in delivering energy, service and value, and enriching our work environment to provide social and economic benefits to the communities we serve.
Our employees are encouraged to promote diversity and inclusion by actively participating in diversity awareness training. We continue to work and volunteer together in a corporate-wide commitment to diversity in which everyone at the company has a role.
At CenterPoint Energy, individuals are respected for their contributions toward our company objectives.
- a culture in which mutual respect is the standard and different backgrounds and viewpoints are considered competitive advantages
- an environment in which all employees have opportunities for personal and professional development
- recognition that diversity and inclusion are key components of our business competencies
CenterPoint Energy recognizes the economic importance of diverse suppliers, and all categories of small business concerns to the economies of the nation, the state and the communities it serves, as well as the corporation itself.
We seek opportunities to assist in the development and competitiveness of diverse business enterprises through:
- Participation in local, state, and national minority and women-owned business councils
- Sponsorship of various diversity tradeshows including the annual Houston Minority Business Council Expo, the annual Women's Business Enterprise Alliance Expo, the annual City of Houston Government Expo, Small Business Administration Expos and the Edison Electric Institute Diversity Expo.
- Sponsorship of networking events and educational workshops for diverse and prime (non-diverse) suppliers
- Scholarship to diverse suppliers through local diversity business councils and Edison Electric Institute
- Active second-tier business initiatives
In the true spirit of diversity, we work with groups from many different backgrounds, tailoring our relationship and our assistance to meet their needs whenever possible.
Our three main objectives are:
- Building relationships with the communities we serve and reaching out to our customers as a caring neighbor.
- Showing our commitment through corporate sponsorship of community events and by financial contributions to charities, civic organizations, educational programs and economic development initiatives.
- Actively promoting volunteer service among our employees and demonstrating as a team that we make a difference.
Each year, CenterPoint Energy employees contribute about 100,000 volunteer service hours. Community support is integral to who and what we are as a company.