Energy-Saving Ideas for the Kitchen
Tips to Save Energy and Money
General equipment tips
- Turn off equipment when not in use, including exhaust hoods.
- Keep equipment doors tightly closed.
- Maintain equipment. Cooking equipment full of grease or scale build-up in dishwashers can cause equipment to work harder, wasting energy.
- Use the right equipment for the job. Be sure staff knows how to operate it efficiently.
- Limit preheating times.
- Cook only to temperature required.
- Don't overload fryer baskets, which increases cook time.
- Cook full-capacity loads.
- Fit the flame to the pan you're using.
- Avoid long holding and reheating.
- Use lids when possible.
- Wash full loads.
- Repair water leaks.
- Limit hot water use. Do not leave water running unnecessarily.
- Set thermostats correctly and turn them down when the building is closed.
- Thousands of rebate dollars are available from CenterPoint Energy for choosing energy-efficient natural gas equipment.