2016 Climate Leadership Award Winner
Minneapolis Clean Energy Partnership
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has named the Minneapolis Clean Energy Partnership
a 2016 Climate Leadership Award
winner in the Innovative Partnerships category for addressing climate change. Recipients of this award have demonstrated leadership and dedication in reducing the pollution that contributes to climate change and for working collaboratively on leading-edge climate initiatives.
This first-of-its-kind City-utility partnership, the Clean Energy Partnership began in 2015 and has the City of Minneapolis, Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy collaborating in new ways to help Minneapolis achieve clean energy goals in the City's 2013 Climate Action Plan
and Energy Vision for 2040
, and to help customers achieve their energy conservation goals.
Key actions of the Clean Energy Partnership include:
- Helping 75 percent of Minneapolis homeowners, renters and rental properties participate in efficiency retrofit programs by 2025, ensuring the distribution of participants reflects the distribution of income levels in the city.
- Implementing the Building Energy Disclosure policy for medium and large commercial buildings.
- Promoting the adoption of renewable energy solutions for Minneapolis customers, such as onsite solar, wind, community solar gardens and green tariffs.
- Investigating the feasibility of large-scale renewable energy purchasing for municipal government and/or residents.
- Continuing to shift to LED streetlights.
The Clean Energy Partnership has established objectives to measurably address greenhouse gas reduction goals and/or adaptation and resilience activities. Measurable results will be documented and reported annually following the development of metrics.