A natural gas safety lesson proved timely for a student at W.E. Rogers Elementary School in North Forest Independent School District in Houston. Student Leonardo Anaya went home from school the day after the lesson and smelled mercaptan, the additive that gives natural gas its telltale “rotten egg” smell. He told his mother there was a gas leak in their home and tracked the source of the odor to a burner on the stove top that was still turned on, though there was no flame. His mother quickly turned off the burner, and Anaya explained the danger they’d been in. Anaya is a science fair winner and achieved 100 percent on his 2009 TAKS science test.
The natural gas safety lesson is part of a three-year project to provide the Safe at Home pipeline safety program to schools located near underground pipelines in the Houston area. CNP and other pipeline companies fund the program. So far in 2009, more than 5,600 elementary students have received natural gas and pipeline safety lessons.
Lucretia Ahrens, division manager of Community Relations in Houston said, “I’m proud of the positive way the Safe at Home program has impacted the classroom and home life.”