Portable Electric Space Heaters
- Portable electric space heaters are the safest room heaters. There's no odor, no flame and no fuel to fill or spill. But like all electric appliances, they need to be used safely.
- Select a heater that's approved by an authorized consumer laboratory such as the Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Look for the approvers label on the heater.
- Read the manufacturer's instructions completely before using.
- Check to ensure the heater has reliable thermostat controls.
- Keep the heater at a safe distance from furniture, draperies and other objects that could catch fire.
- While heater cords normally become warm during use, stop using the heater if the cord becomes hot.
- Avoid using extension cords with the heater.
- Keep children away from space heaters.
- Never use your kitchen stove or oven as a space heater.
- Use the heater on the floor only; never place one on a counter top or furniture.