CenterPoint EnergyElectric Transmission and Distribution
Repair & Maintenance Guidelines
  • Unplug all electric appliances before working on them. Even when replacing a light bulb, it's best to unplug the lamp or turn the power off.

  • Do not stick a metal object inside an electrical appliance: you could be electrocuted. For example, do not use a kitchen knife to retrieve items from toasters, dishwashers, dryers or any other electric appliance.

  • If you receive any kind of shock from a large appliance or any other electrical device (other than from static electricity) have an electrician check the appliance.

  • If an appliance emits smoke or sparks, or if you feel a tingle or light shock when it's on, stop using it. Discard or replace the appliance, or have it repaired.