If you're thinking of installing a standby generator in your home, make sure it's properly installed by an experienced electrician only and follow these guidelines.
- Make sure you select a generator correctly sized to your needs.
- Adhere to all manufacturer's guidelines.
- Always have a qualified electrician install the generator. A generator must be connected to your home's wiring through a double-throw, double-pole transfer switch to ensure that the building wires are isolated from the utility wires.
- Indoor installation is not generally recommended.
- Never connect a portable electric generator directly to your building's electrical system during a power outage. Electricity could backfeed into the power lines and endanger CenterPoint Energy workers.