The Residential and Small Commercial Standard Offer Program offers incentives for energy efficiency retrofit projects in residences. CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric is charged with the responsibility to administer this program by the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
The program is designed to be simple and beneficial for all parties involved. In short, contractors agree with the participating customer to do projects that promote energy efficiency and CenterPoint Energy agrees to pay the contractor a price established by the Public Utility Commission of Texas. The contractor is not part of, or endorsed by the commission or the utility.
Important note: CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric is not a party to the agreement between the participating customer and their contractor, and the contractor is solely responsible for the performance of the work and contract fulfillment. Funding provided by the regulated electric utility for this program is approved by the Public Utility Commission of Texas in support of statewide energy efficiency efforts.
For more information, please email our program contact at residentialsop@CenterPointEnergy.com.
A project can cover a wide array of eligible energy efficiency measures. Examples include:
- Increase the insulation levels in the ceiling, wall, or floor.
- Install energy efficient windows.
- Repair or replace the air conditioning duct system.
- Install a high efficiency lighting system.
- Replace existing air conditioning system with a high efficiency system.
- Upgrade existing appliances to efficient appliances, such as water heaters, refrigerators, and dishwashers.
- Weatherize the home to reduce the loss of cool or heated air.
Participating Customer Responsibilities
- Contact a participating Project Sponsor.
- Discuss the available services and how they will make your home more efficient.
- Enter into an agreement with the contractor that will outline the work to be done.
- For verification purposes, if CenterPoint Energy contacts you, provide access to the residence or business for an inspection of the contractors work.
- Remember, you will be solely responsible for any agreed upon payment between you and your contractor.
- Customer must be within the CenterPoint Energy electric distribution territory.
Additional Program Information