Customer-owned electrical facilities are the source of many power quality problems. In accordance with the CenterPoint Energy Tariff, customers have the responsibility to install necessary protective equipment to limit the adverse affect of power quality problems.
In fact, existing codes and standards provide a wealth of information on improving the performance of customer-owned electrical facilities. If you want premium power, or a higher quality of service than CenterPoint Energy can supply, it is your responsibility to secure that level of service.
Items to improve or better endure your current situation
Protective equipment to enhance electric service is readily available in the power quality marketplace. Here are examples of these devices and methods:
- Transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS)
- Constant voltage (Ferroresonant) transformer
- Magnetic synthesizer
- Dip proofing inverter
- Lightning protection system
- Dynamic sag corrector
- Static VAR compensator (VAR = volt-amperes reactive)
- High speed transfer switch
- Battery UPS (uninterruptible power supply)
- Rotary UPS (uninterruptible power supply)
- Proper maintenance of electrical facilities
- Dedicated branch circuit