CenterPoint Energy operates in five primary businesses: electric transmission and distribution, natural gas distribution, interstate natural gas pipelines, field services, and competitive natural gas sales and services:
- Electric Transmission & Distribution (T&D) – We maintain the wires, poles and electric infrastructure serving our 5,000-square-mile electric service territory in the Houston metropolitan area. While CenterPoint Energy employees ensure the reliable delivery of power from power plants to homes and businesses, we neither generate power nor sell it to customers.
- Natural Gas Distribution – We sell and deliver natural gas to 3.2 million homes and businesses in Arkansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas, including the high-growth areas of Houston and Minneapolis.
- Interstate Pipelines – We operate two interstate natural gas pipeline systems that together have 8,200 miles of pipe and transported 1.592 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in 2009.
- Field Services – Focused on the mid-continent region, we gather, treat and process natural gas, moving it from wellhead to pipeline. We also provide maintenance and technical services including our remote wellhead monitoring and measuring product: ServiceStar.
- Competitive Natural Gas Sales and Services – Our natural gas marketing business, CenterPoint Energy Services (CES), sells non rate-regulated natural gas and related services to approximately 11,100 commercial, industrial and wholesale customers located primarily in the eastern half of the United States.